This recipe is one my son, Paul, loves to cook for us on special occasions. The one pictured below, he had made for us on this last Easter Sunday when we had his girlfriend, Samantha, and her parents over. It was an incredible meal. He made the prime rib, mashed potatoes, gravy (which he called au jus), and sautéed asparagus. For desert, Samantha and her mother brought a gluten-free carrot cake and some gluten-free Italian cookies they purchased from a gluten-free bakery here in Seattle. You see, if you and others around you either already know how to cook or want to learn so you can improvise without gluten, you can have a great time with cooking and eating. It’s a great social and bonding time cooking with family and friends. For those of you who are very sensitive and can’t risk eating out for fear of gluten exposure, cooking and eating gluten-free in your own home is a great way to enjoy food and social time without feeling deprived. That’s what I do! I enjoy the people and the food and the bonding in cooking together like what I learned from my mother and grandmothers in growing up. And, I never have a gluten hangover, so to speak, with it’s stomach discomfort and multiple symptoms that can last for days, even weeks. Ugh! So Smile! It’s all good! Enjoy!
1 standing prime rib roast (6-10 pounds)
1. Salt prime rib the night before and let the roast rest in the fridge uncovered overnight.
2. Prior to cooking, let the roast rise to room temperature on the counter.
3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
4. Chop oregano and thyme and combine with garlic in a mixing bowl.
5. Place the roast fat side up in the center of a v-rack inside a large roasting pan and cover with the herb garlic mixture.
6. Dust with crushed peppercorns.
7. Bake, uncovered, until the internal temperature reads between 120 degrees F- to 125 degrees F for medium rare and 135 degrees F for medium.
8. Take out of oven and turn temperature up to 500 degrees F.
9. Let the roast rest covered in foil on the counter for 30 minutes.
10. Place in the 500 degree oven for an additional 15 to 30 minutes to brown the outside.
11. Remove from oven. Slice and serve.