Spaghetti with Parmesano Cheese
1 lb. package gluten-free spaghetti (I use Tinkyada rice spaghetti for best results, most like white spaghetti)
1/2 cup shredded parmigiano cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoons onion powder
Two fresh basil leaves
Meat sauce–already prepared
- Boil spaghetti in pot of boiling water.
- When fully cooked, usually about 15 minutes, drain the spaghetti in a colander but set aside some of the liquid (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) from the spaghetti to mix with other ingredients. You want some liquid but not too much.
- Rinse spaghetti well with hot water to keep it warm and then put back into the pot.
- Add butter and a little of the leftover liquid (add a little at first to be sure it’s not too “liquidy”). Continue to add water till it has a good consistency (it shouldn’t be too mushy).
- Break basil leaves into small pieces and add along with 1/2 of the parmigiano. Mix well.
- After initial mixing add pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix again and let sit for a moment.
- Lastly, add the meat sauce. I recommend adding a very lite amount just for flavor! The idea is to get all the flavors not to be over powered by the meat sauce.
- Top with the rest of the parmigiano and parsley and serve!
This can be served with homemade gluten-free bread or store bought gluten-free baguettes. Tossed salad with Italian or balsamic dressing is also a good side dish. I have served it with chicken or eggplant parmigiano and a little wine. There are many variations that this recipe can be served with. Saluti! (Greetings!)